This has to be the ultimate Welsh rarebit recipe: Rock Star, our vintage cave-aged Cheddar, lends it a distinctively rich flavour with sweet caramel notes. It’s the perfect easy-but-indulgent lunchtime treat!
- Preheat the grill until medium hot.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, add the flour and mix well to make a roux. Cook gently then whisk in the ale until the sauce is smooth.
- Remove from heat and add the mustard, Worcestershire sauce and seasoning.
- Add the cheese, reserving 2 heaped tablespoons for topping, and beat until it has melted and sauce is bubbling.
- Place the toast on a grill rack or baking sheet and spoon the cheese mixture over each slice, ensuring they are evenly covered. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and place under a hot grill until golden and bubbling.
- Serve with your favourite chutney and a glass of ale.